Sunday, July 20, 2008

Rooting for the "Shark"

Go "Shark"!

Australian Greg Norman begins the final round of The Open Championship with a 2 stroke lead over Padraig Harrington of Ireland. I'm rooting for the "Shark" all the way.

I remember as a younger man I would jokingly put the "dig" to my dad and root for whoever was closest to Norman when he was in the thick of things, but always liking the striking figure he cut on the links. The "Shark" is an indomitable competitor. He has endured heartbreaking failures and the stigma of not really accomplishing what many people assumed he should have.

He's won 18 tournaments on the PGA Tour and 2 Open Championships (otherwise known as The British Open). He was the # 1 player on the tour for a long time, but the game has not been particularly benevolent to the Aussie when playing in the 4 major tournaments.

He's recently married tennis legend Chris Evert and teed off on the first hole of the final round of the 137th Open Championship at 8:22 CST.

My dad and I played a lot of golf together and watched even more together and I miss those times. I'd give a lot to be on the course with him and a golf cart and a cooler of beer, right now.

My dad had a lot of respect for the game and the men who made it look like the most natural pasttime ever invented by man. It may be because most of our family blood lines originated in northern England and Scotland, but I have to say I love the game and miss playing. Knee surgery and back surgery have dwindled my enthusiasm for playing because a 3 or 4 hour round of golf can potentially put me in pain for weeks. I'm thinking it'll be worth it, though. Maybe this fall, when the temperatures are cooler and the ground is not so hard and unforgiving, I'll pick up the sticks and chase the ball around the countryside.

For now, however, I'm content with watching Greg and I'm really pulling for him. He's only lead a major going into the final round 8 times and has lost all but one of those competitions. I'm hoping he's shed that mantle and wins in fine fashion today and celebrates with pint of England's finest ale.

The Open Championship is being played at the Royal Birkdale Golf Club outside Liverpool on the coast of the Irish Sea.

No comments: