Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Where to read my published work and some thoughts on various civic leaders

Hi folks.

As I mentioned in my note of welcome, I'm a columnist and copy editor for the Community Free Press. You can read my published columns by picking up a copy of CFP at over 120 locations throughout Springfield, Nixa, Ozark and Republic or go to www.cfpmidweek.com. There you will find archived editions of the paper. CFP has the most complete events calendar and listings of happenings in the Springfield Metro Area bar none. So, if you're looking for something to do, or need details of a particular event, www.cfpmidweek.com is the place to go.

I have a lot of things "stewing" in the kettle which will eventually manifest itself in Stu's Potluck.

First thing that comes to mind is this situation of Springfield City Councilman Gary Deaver attempting to place a gag order on the folks over at the daily paper. Ok, ok. So he asked nicely. It doesn't matter how much sugar you put on it, though. The fact that the City actually had three different pay scales for different levels of candidates for the City Manager position is the real point.

The way that translates to me is that the city council is prepared to settle for a "lesser" candidate for the position, if they can "get a deal." You get what you pay for, in most circumstances. Maybe it would be better to entice a highly qualified field of candidates with one good pay scale.

There are lots of different euphamisms for sycophant in Springfield. Unfortunately, Councilman Deaver has gained more than one for himself. "Carlson Junior" is the first that I heard within just a few months of moving here. "Little Tom" and "Carlson's Lapdog" are others that I've heard. The one that I truly loathe (and fear to some degree) is "Springfield's Next Mayor".

I know, it's not really a big deal. It's just an honorary title, to a large extent, but the Mayor does preside over all City Council meetings and functions. The mayor is a figurehead. So, I guess what I'm trying to say is: it's the principle of the thing.

Anyone familiar with my work may think that I'm a Dan Chiles champion. I think the man is a breath of fresh air, but his stance on the new restaurant fees has left me cold. So, I'm not endorsing him for the mayoral position, either.

I'd definitely like to applaud Doug Burlison for at least motioning to hold off on the new fees, although I'd have preferred him to oppose them altogether.

Basically, I'd like you all to know I think City Council is not doing a particularly good job. In his "State of the City" address, Tom Carlson spoke for over 30 minutes and enumerated his "To Do" list or priorities for his final term of office. I don't think anything on his list is completely accomplished, and several of them are bound to be handed down to the next city council.

Carlson painted a pretty grim picture of the future in his speech. Springfield won't have a City Manager with 25 years of experience. City Council will consist of members without the benefit of Carlson's 25 years of experience. Blah, blah, blah. He gives himself too much credit. His grade card is full of "incompletes".

I found it interesting that his inspiration for the speech was a preacher from his past who introduced himself to his parishoners through his failures, or something like that.

Carlson apparently believes he has accomplished most of his goals. I see it quite differently. He has side-stepped the whole fire/police pension debacle and actually made the assertion it was Pension Board actuary Michael Zwiener's fault for giving an accurate portrayal of the whole mess, in the first place.

The state of Missouri legislature actually had to create a law to make Springfield, the third largest city in the state, comply with the suggested guidelines of the fire/police pension contribution schedule. Only the threat of losing 25% of sales tax remittances got City Council to do the right thing by firefighters and police.

I believe all public employees should be compensated fairly and receive pensions and benefits for public service. I wish people viewed educators with the same reverence as they view police and firefighters, since 9/11. I wonder how many more Columbines, WVUs and other tragedies it will take to convince people their public schools are no longer the safe havens they once were and there are risks in all paths of life.

I'm sighing, now. I don't think there's any such thing as a perfect world, anymore. I've become jaded, cynical and skeptical too early in life, perhaps.

Through my cynicism, however, I believe I've been granted the gift of knowing when somebody isn't telling the whole truth.

This is my query:

If Councilman Deaver actually had the gall to request the News-Leader to withhold the gradient pay scales of City Manager candidates from its readers, what information has he seen fit to withhold from the public in the past?

I'm not calling anyone a crook or a liar or anything so sensational as that. All I'm saying is: the next mayor of Springfield should be a person with a committment to candor and honesty. The people of Springfield can handle the bad along with the good.

Stu

3 comments:

admin said...

Welcome Stu.

Our local blogosphere is growing all the time. Glad to have you join.

Jack

tom said...

Stu,

Really like your column, don't always agree but it gives me something to think about. Sometimes the exaggerations are a bit hard to take but I assume you do so in a parody type but at least I can laugh at them.

Great to see you writing a blog

Jason said...

Welcome to the Springfield blogosphere!