Thursday, August 7, 2008

U.S. Fatalities in Iraq Demand More Than "Pipe Dream Alliance"

More than 4000 U.S. service men and women have died in the Iraq War. 33,000 casualties and 29,000 wounded in the same time frame.

Now the Iraq government finds itself with a surplus of $80 billion after the surge in oil profits last quarter. What should be done with this windfall?

To be sure, the Iraqi people have suffered greatly, as has their country's infrastructure, with the inevitabilities of war. Five long years of war have ravaged the people and the systems to meet their physical needs.

So far, $169 billion has been spent to rebuild Iraq, while the conflict drags on. The military "surge" may have worked, but the flow of money needed to rebuild the country is just beginning.

Of the $169 billion spent to this point, U.S. taxpayers have donated $50 billion. I guess that's fair. We caused most of the damage to infrastructure, anyway, right?

I don't have any family or friends, that I am aware of, serving in the conflict. I am happy for that fact. I can't really imagine the stress and worry of dealing with that type of reality every day.

I don't think it's right for $10 billion of Iraqi money (in U.S. banks alone) to be collecting $435 million in interest while U.S. tax dollars are flowing to mend the damage done by the war. I'm sure Iraq will eventually devote a good amount of this windfall from oil profits to rebuilding itself.

I don't understand the Bush administration's perceived payoff for the $50 billion spent on reconstructing Iraq's infrastructure, however. Yesterday, White House Deputy Press Secretary Tony Fratto stated Iraq becoming a long-term ally of the U.S. is the reward for all the money spent to rebuild.

Sorry, I don't think that's something the Bush administration can assure us of. The U.S. could restore Iraq to all its former glory of antiquity and make the country the envy of Southwest Asia and the Middle East. Even if that unlikelihood did come to pass, however, the probability of Iraq remaining steadfastly allied with the U.S. for the distant future is a pipe dream.

I'm sorry, but even if you take the weapons of mass destruction off the board, the Iraqi people and their government are still going to have to pay the piper. War reparations should be made.

What we, as a country, have accomplished with this war is the suppression of a civil war that will probably never be fully quelled. The alternative, however, would have been far more distressing to the region and the rest of the world. I never advocated war with Iraq, but once we were there, we were obligated to recognize the importance of stability in the region and our responsibility to see such stability maintained through our military presence and diplomatic efforts to achieve parity among the three cultural/political groups involved in the power struggle for Iraq.

I believe that fair and non-punitive war reparations for the Iraqi government would be for them to initially forward any interest on accounts currently held in the U.S. to the U.S. government. Afterward, the Iraqi government would be required to forward 1 percent of all net profits from the proceeds of its oil exports.

It is horrible and lamentable for the hundreds of thousands of individuals who have been directly impacted by this war through the loss of a loved one and/or the wounded service men and women who have already returned and will be returning from this war. Life for these people will never be the same. Our country owes all of these people the assurance their sacrifice was not in vain and did not accomplish any real or lasting objective.

Iraq may not always be our ally in this region. I don't really see the Iraqi people rushing to lay down their lives for U.S. interests in the region. No president can foresee, let alone guarantee the future. What our government can do, however, is make sure the Iraqi government and people demonstrate their thanks in the form of repaying the monetary donation the U.S. has made to secure the reconstruction of Iraq.

6 comments:

Jackie Melton said...

Doesn't sound unreasonable to me.

Why do you think the Bush Administration is reluctant to ask Iraq to contribute more by paying back some of the monetary costs of the war?

The loss America has suffered through lives given and injuries sustained can never be repaid but Iraq could and should offset some of the financial costs.

Stu Solomon said...

I stated in the original post: "Yesterday, White House Deputy Press Secretary Tony Fratto stated Iraq becoming a long-term ally of the U.S. is the reward for all the money spent to rebuild."

You can google it or look for it on CNN.com. I wouldn't make it up.

My point is, the Bush administration acts like they shouldn't ask for it at all. The "future alliance" is the payoff.

Doesn't that strike you as naive?

Jackie Melton said...

It doesn't strike me as "naive" that they are hopefully optimistic about Iraq becoming a long-term ally of the U.S., no. I might agree that it could be misguided.

I'm pretty naive, myself, something I can't seem to get over, I keep looking for the best in others, in everyone. I keep finding reasons to like people, any people. I don't know if it's naivete or my Christian nature.

What I meant was that your ideas didn't seem unreasonable to me, maybe you misunderstood what I meant by that.

Because I asked you a follow up question seeking your opinion about WHY the Bush Administration is reluctant to ask Iraq to contribute doesn't mean I'm suggesting you made something up, Stu. I regret that you might have taken it that way.

Stu Solomon said...

I wasn't offended, I simply thought you may have overlooked a portion of the original post. I'm not viewing any of this as a protagonist/antagonist forum. All your comments are insightful.

I'm clueless as far as the "why" question.

My completely cyncial side (which I try to reign in as much as possible) tells me private profiteers who happen to hold public office are satisfied with the rate of return on their private investments, and they don't give a rip if the U.S. people and government are repaid at all.

Anonymous said...

That pretty much sums up most of the human species. We may have cool toys, but we still haven't managed to grow up yet.

Anonymous said...

This is not a comment that is intended to inflame or incite a riot. Neither is it an informed opinion, either. I always noticed on TV how Iraq looks like the American Southwest or Mexico. It MAY be why they have "Sunni(y) Moslems, there. Get it? That said, I feel that We should completely rebuild Iraq and its' petroleum n' goat-roping dependant economy into one based upon tourism & retirement villages for our elderly! It would mean good paying jobs for war-weary Iraqis, dressing up in Disney Costumes, or working in the geriatric health care field. Sounds crazy doesn't it? Thanks Me For The Input, here.