Sunday, August 10, 2008

Olympic Fever

I know there are all kinds of objections and demonstrators and protest movements surrounding the XXIX Olympiad, but you know what?

I don't care!

I love the Olympic games. I love the spectacle of the opening ceremony. I love the swimming, rowing, volleyball, table tennis, gymnastics and basketball.

I'm not just a homer, either. There are lots of great human interest stories.

And this quadrennial's games are being held in the Middle Kingdom!

China! I love their history and culture and philosophy.

I know there are human rights problems. I know the government is brutal at times and unforgiving of seemingly insignificant transgressions, but they sure did pull out the stops to show the world they are more than the world's most populated country.

Anyway, I don't want to get into all the political and economic crap. There's plenty of time to debate all that stuff. These games are about human achievement in athletics and I am grateful we live in an age where we can witness the spectacle and drama of the efforts of these athletes.

I hope you all decide to watch your favorite events and enjoy the coverage with family and friends.

1 comment:

Jason said...

It's weird...I'm a huge sports nut but have absolutely zero interest in the Olympics. No idea why.