Saturday, September 27, 2008

Apologies

Well, friends, I have not posted in some while now. I became deeply disillusioned with the editorial process at the paper. After making several attempts to discuss the situation with the publisher and being ignored, I tendered my resignation. There is a healthy measure of cynicism and resentment on my part, but it is not due to the editorial decisions at the paper. No, the resentment is the result of the complete lack of respect I was shown. So, before anyone says it's just "sour grapes," I admit it freely. I feel justified in my decision to resign. I gave my superiors plenty of opportunity to simply talk to me and explain their decision to cut me out of the editorial loop. We live in the age of the cell phone and e-mail, but my calls and e-mails were met with united silence.

There can be no question I was not really a "fit" with the overall tenor of the publication, but when I began to work there, it was the very fact which appealed to my publisher and friend. Things change. I have no problem with it. After all, what self-respecting publisher wants a free-thinking and independent-minded free radical like myself writing a column committed to pointing out the discrepancies of local government?

To be fair to myself, I can honestly say copy editing and proof reading the paper was actually my favorite part of the job. Story idea meetings and consultations on administrative matters were opportunities to cut up and let off some steam. Writing the column was usually my last priority. I had quite a bit on my plate. I wasn't at the paper to write the column. My employment at the paper was never dependent on the publication of any of my columns. Just so we can get that straight. I know there are other people out there who want to reduce my resignation to that, but it isn't true. I resigned because my superiors at the paper ceased to communicate with me.

Filling in for the managing editor on one issue while his lovely wife gave birth to their newest bundle of joy was enough of an eye opening experience for me to know I really liked my role at the paper and respected Mert for fulfilling his so well. In short, I'm really not very happy at all to not be there, but there were other considerations for the publisher to weigh or not weigh or simply ignore. I'll never know exactly what they were, because he refuses to interact with me. He's so busy and all, he can't allow himself to be distracted by the likes of me.

Anyway, I've become somewhat disillusioned with the whole "concerned citizen/journalist" thing. I'm sure I'll catch the bug again soon, though. We have a brand spanking new city manager who does not believe complete transparency is necessary for efficient municipal government and administration. He and Ms. Adams will get along very well.

On another note: my blog has fallen victim to a "stalker" of sorts. An anonymous commenter who has a particular axe to grind has chosen to vent his peculiar frustration in my direction. While I know I'm not the person he's really trying to get to, I have decided to reject his comments and will no longer be accepting anonymous comments on the blog. From now on only registered users will be allowed to post comments.

Sorry 'bout that in advance to any of you aspiring anonymous commenters, but he broke the "civil" clause in my invitation to comments. I generally frown on anonymity. I'm not trying to offend anyone, but, after all, if you don't have the balls to sign your name to something, by definition it is not credible.

No comments: